Saturday 24 September 2011

Slip Slidin' Away.....

A real short one here.

I found a tiny - well, two actually - gecko in the shower-room a few days ago.  One was marginally bigger than the other; both were pretty slow off the mark and seem unconcerned by my presence. Very ungeckolike!

I told them they were welcome but to keep a weather eye out for Charlie who was not likely to be so welcoming. I was right.

Last night I found the smallest of the pair (now christened Gladys)  on our bedroom's  shower-room floor. It didn't flinch when I approached, which is normal for these youngsters. But when I picked it up and placed it on the palm of my hand it twitched, so I thought it was still alive. With no visible signs of injury, blood or guts and gore, I slipped it behind the spare loo-rolls, and left it to sink or swim.

This morning it was out of sight and this afternoon it had resurfaced and was slithering around the floor as normal. I'm rather pleased with this outcome. They are harmless little critters and certainly beneficial here, in my view.  I only hope they manage to escape Charlie's predations long enough to take to climbing the walls to the beams where I'm sure they'll both be safe.


Big Brother/Sister (just how do you sex a Gecko?!):


Gladys: Minus a bit of tail - post-Charlie:



I took a walk into the village this evening to get some vino tinto and bread. I also hoped to catch some of the festivities from the Fiesta de San Miguel, the patron saint of the village. Sadly, however, apart from lots of lights - not alight at the early hour - and a small fairgroundy thing in the square in front of the town hall, there was nothing to see or hear of any interest.  Instead, I had to make do with a few beers in the evening sun and some tapas. I'm told by a neighbour that there will be a big procession through the village tomorrow and that it will pass the huse. So I'll keep an eye out for this in the morning. I might even manage a piccy or two. Who knows!?


The road to the bar........





2 comments:

  1. A stroll in the evening to get red wine and bread...how I long for these things....

    I love those geckos! Let's hope Charlie and the Geckos can live safely side by side.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got lizards on my allotment and a couple of car wheels-they hide underneath from the cats and sun themselves on top of the rubber!

    ReplyDelete